back to services

Property & Finance

Helping you divide your assets

For a glossary of terms you might come across during this process, please click here.


For married couples / couples in a civil partnership

If you are getting divorced or are dissolving a civil partnership, we can assist you with sorting out the family assets and working out how best to divide them.

Even if you are going through an amicable divorce, you should seek advice on whether your proposed financial settlement is fair.

Everyone will need to manage the financial consequences of divorce in a different way; there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach.

For some people, mediation or collaborative law may be appropriate. For an overview of those options, click here.

In other cases, going to Court (litigation) may be the only option. We are fearless and effective litigators who will give you realistic advice and who can assist you with reaching an early settlement where appropriate.

For those who cannot afford the costs of litigation, we can still provide advice ‘in the background’ whenever you need it.

For many families, money for your children can be dealt with by the Child Maintenance Service, but housing and educational expenses are still dealt with by the Court. If you are married, you may have a claim for housing, a lump sum and/or a pension share from your spouse, and potentially for monthly payments (spousal maintenance).

There are numerous factors that the Court will consider when trying to resolve financial matters, so taking early legal advice is essential to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your children.

Property matters for unmarried couples

Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a ‘common law spouse’.

Unmarried couples will usually find they have fewer rights than married couples when it comes to sorting out the financial aspects of a relationship breakdown.

What if you are not married, but co-own a property? What if you live in a property that is owned solely by your partner?

In either case, you should seek legal advice to ensure your interests are protected. Even though you may not have the same range of options available to you as you would if you were married, your financial arrangements during your cohabitation may give rise to certain claims.

Some people will be able to agree on such matters without going to Court (see Alternative Dispute Resolution), but some couples will need to use the Court’s services. Our expertise can guide you through these tricky steps and help you weigh up the options.

Financial support for children of unmarried couples

There are various claims that can be made in respect of children.

As well as making a claim for child maintenance, you can also claim for things like educational expenses and for housing while your children are under eighteen and/or in full-time education.

Some parties will be able to resolve things amicably through mediation or other alternative dispute resolution processes (click here for an overview of Alternative Dispute Resolution) while others will need to go to Court (litigate). We will work tirelessly to guide you through the Court process and ensure that you are given realistic and tactical advice.

We Can Help You

Call us directly on 020 3036 0978 or book an appointment below.


  • * No Obligation
  • * 100% Confidential


2 Stephen Street


The Stanley Building
7 Pancras Square